Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Calabaza & Zucchini Latkes

The omnivore: When I first asked Ari what latkes were, she said "like hash-browns". And they really are. I offered to make the basic potatoes and onions version while Ari made others from sweet potatoes for Hanukkah; they were so good I had the leftovers for breakfast the next day. The thing is, they can be made out of almost anything. Soooooo, inspired by a menu item at Red Light, we decided that calabaza and zucchini would make a great latke.

1/4 lb. calabaza
1 zucchini
1 small onion
1 egg
2 tablespoons of flour
Butter

Grate the calabaza, the peeled zucchini and the small onion. Mix in a bowl. To this we add the egg (scrambled) and about two tablespoons of flour. Mix till it looks like mashed potatoes. Heat the pan and melt enough butter to coat the pan. Make sure butter is really hot before you spoon the batter in. Grab about a 1/4 cup at a time and flatten like a pancake. You'll get about 10-12 latkes. Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream if desired.

We paired it with a salad for a complete meal. Ari ate four... I ate the other eight.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers